How to make a Data Centric Organization? — Culture
Alright, we have discussed the What and the Who of Data Centric. Now, let’s talk about the how?
In my opinion, there should be four essential qualities to make a Data-Centric Organization.
1. CULTURE 2. STRATEGY 3. TECHNOLOGY 4. PROCESS.
1. A Data-Centric culture where everyone from Board room to Engine room till the shop room uses data effectively for Decision making and Data as an effective unit of Business outcome.
2. A self-serviceable culture
3. Have the right Mind-set, knowledge set, tool set, skill set, data set and make it all set to make a Data-Centric firm. To achieve this, you have your strategic workforce, upskill / reskill continuously.
4. Leadership should have Leaders from Data space. This should be non-negotiable.
1. Most organizations think “Application-Centric” strategy rather than “Data-Centric” Strategy. Having the right organizational strategy that is well aligned with the Business outcomes supports a Data-centric culture.
2. From the business side if it is “Customer-Centric” organization, potentially the organization should have “Data-Centric” strategy that realizes the customer centricity. Because if you want to put the Customer in the center, you need Data.
1. Roadmap to Data Modernization that talks about the components of your Modern Data Centric organization
2. Modern Data Trends to Transform your organization
Execute and keep modernizing
1. Shift in approach towards Data Management, Governance, Security, and mindset change.
Some more details on the how part, starting with CULTURE
1. Adopting a Data-centric culture starts from the Leadership team where any Decision that is made by the management team is always backed by strong data points even though human judgement is involved in making decisions.